Thursday, October 30, 2008

Frugal With The Laundry

I stumbled upon a website yesterday explaining how much you can save by making your own laundry detergent. I am having a very hard time each time I go to the grocery store to purchase supplies to clean and run our house hold. I have a family of 4, two daughter, my husband and me. I do probably around 15 loads of laundry a week. Both of my daughters play sports and even though we are in the fall of the year our temperatures are still in the mid to high 80's. They usually come home totally wet from sweating. Just wanted to give you an idea of our situation in regards to the large amount of laundry. So, with that being said, I starting researching making my own laundry detergent. Based on my research you can save around 0.14 cents per load of laundry. I would be saving around $8.96 per bottle of bought laundry detergent verses making my own laundry detergent. I am going to give it a try and see if I can really see the savings. I will keep you posted and let you know how I am doing. If you are interest in making your own laundry detergent you can check out this website here for more information.

Update on the change jar. I work for a financial institution which has a coin machine. I noticed that my husband has been dropping other items in the change jar besides money. So, before I run my change through the machine I need to sort through the change so I don't break the machine. Those machine get a lot a wear and I don't want to be the one to break it. This will be on my list of things to do this weekend.

DLD

3 comments:

Budget Mama said...

I had thought of making my own laundry detergent, but my son is so sensitive to change with his detergents. I may have to keep using our current one for now.

Anonymous said...

Although I do not think I have the time to do this, I am curious to hear about your updates on this situation. :)

However, this stuff: 1 of Fels Naptha Heavy Duty Laundry Soap - Single Bar - that I found on that link, is very, very good to use on stains. I have a bar in my laundry room as we speak. And I only paid 50 cents for it (local grocers, top shelf)! Good advice from a spanish friend.

Budget Mama said...

Just checking in and say hello again. Hope all is well.